Home > Community > Thurrock and Stanford-le-Hope

Thurrock and Stanford-le-Hope

About Thurrock:

Thurrock is a unitary authority with borough status in the English ceremonial county of Essex. It is part of the London commuter belt and an area of regeneration within the Thames Gateway redevelopment zone.

It lies on the River Thames just to the east of London. With over 18 miles (29 km) of riverfront it covers an area of 64 square miles (166 km²), with more than half defined as Green Belt. With Greater London to the west and the river to the south, the county of Essex abuts the Borough to the north and east, and across the river lies Kent.

 

About Stanford-le-Hope:

Stanford-le-hope is a small town and Church of England parish situated in the county of Essex. The town is within the unitary authority of Thurrock and located 23.8 miles (38.4 km) east of Charing Cross in London. The town is served by Stanford-le-Hope railway station, and is linked closely to the A13.

Often known locally simply as Stanford, the town is home to many commuters working in London, thanks to its proximity to the capital and its c2c-operated London, Tilbury and Southend Railway rail connections. One of the main local industries is the nearby oil refinery at Shell Haven, and it soon will be home to the proposed DP World deep sea port, major business and logistics park. Many residents also travel along the nearby A13 to work in the Lakeside Shopping Centre.

As Stanford-le-Hope grows in size, it has started to incorporate neighbouring settlements such as Corringham, Mucking and Fobbing, the latter of which was the scene of one of the uprisings which led to the Peasants' Revolt.

Stanford-le-Hope is bordered to the north by the A13 road and to the south by the Thames Estuary. It is located 12.7 miles (20.5 km) west of Southend-on-Sea.

 

Useful Websites:

http://www.corringhamfobbingcf.org.uk

Information on local amenities and the community of nearby Corringham.

http://stanfordcf.org.uk

Information on local amenities and the community of Stanford-le-Hope.

 

 



The coat of arms of Thurrock were originally granted to the Thurrock Urban District Council on January 17, 1957 and contains symbols referring to aspects of Thurrock past and present.

 

The Celtic cross marks the establishment of Christianity in Thurrock by Saint Cedd in the 7th Century, and the Tudor rose within the cross refers to Queen Elizabeth I's visit to Tilbury in 1588. The ships on the blue wavy band are a reference to Thurrock's long association with maritime trade. The wheel represents both industry and agriculture and the ship's propeller relates to ship repairing.

The supporters were added on May 14, 1976 to mark the change to Borough status in 1974. The medieval knight in armour is Radulphus de Knevynton whose brass is in Aveley church and the mythical sea lion represents in its black, gold and white teardrops, the local products: oil, margarine, soap and cement.

The Latin motto refers to Thurrock's international links and can be translated as: 'By Thames to all the peoples of the world'.